There are several categories that comprise MT books, such as abbreviations; word books and/or dictionaries for different medical professions such as urology or oncology; there are literally hundreds if not thousands of MT books. Here I will give you a list of some books with descriptions, either by the authors themselves or by Amazon.com.
1. Taber’s Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2,788 pages)
For more than 65 years, Taber’s has provided students, nurses, and health professionals with the definitions and information they need to provide superior care for their patients, while remaining portable and easy-to-carry (Ed. Note: 2,788 and easy-to-carry? Well…).
KEY FEATURES INCLUDE:
- 56,000 easy-to-understand definitions — almost 50% more than the competition
- 700 illustrations; more than 500 in full-color
- Encyclopedic format means you get much more than just definitions.
- You get a comprehensive resource with:
- Superior illustrations
- Etymologies (word origins)
- 100 most frequently prescribed drugs (NEW)
- Patient Care sections with clinically pertinent information
- Caution statements in color, to call attention to vital considerations and potential dangers that help you practice safe health care
- Tables that put important information at your fingertips
- Disease entries that include symptoms, diagnosis and treatment
2. Surgical Word Book (1,227 pages)
(This book) provides more than 150,000 properly spelled surgical terms to keep readers up to date.
3. Medical Word Book (1,008 pages)
(Same as #2)
4. Saunders Pharmaceutical Word Book 2008 (832 pages)
Written by transcriptionists for transcriptionists, this drug reference lets you quickly locate the correct spelling and capitalization of more than 27,000 brand-name and generic drugs. It includes the corresponding uses of those drugs, cross-referencing of brand names to generics, and the usual methods of administration (e.g., capsule, IV, cream). To help you avoid errors, it also contains the indications (reasons for administration) of approved drugs and standard dosages.
- Over 27,000 brand-name and generic drugs are included, with dosage forms, investigational drug names, chemotherapy protocols, trademarked dosage forms, drug categories/classes, and almost 2,000 medicinal herbs and natural remedies.
- Pharmaceutical information is organized specifically for the medical transcriptionist, allowing you to correctly determine the drug being transcribed and confirm related information.
- Sound-alike “ear” icon helps you confirm the correct drug when similar names exist, increasing your accuracy and confidence.
- Author Ellen Drake is a nationally known speaker and expert in medical transcription.
- Appendices offer useful information at a glance:
- Abbreviations Used with Medications and Dosages
- Therapeutic Drug Levels
- The Most Prescribed Drugs
5. Stedman’s Medical Dictionary (2,098 pages)
Stedman’s Medical Dictionary, 28th Edition has been thoroughly reviewed and updated to make this dictionary the most reliable resource available for healthcare, including medical students, physicians, educators, researchers, and medical language specialists. This new edition includes over 107,000 terms and definitions, more than 5,000 new to this edition. Over 45 consultants from all the major medical and health science specialties have reviewed each word for accuracy and clarity, including new consultants for the specialties of endocrinology, gastroenterology, geriatrics, and rheumatology. The art program has also been extensively enhanced and now includes approximately 1500 images and illustrations. Readers will recognize the authoritative content contained in this new edition, and want to add it to their list of must have references.
Other excellent (according to the MT reviewers on Amazon) Stedman medical books with self-explanatory titles:
6. Abbreviations, Acronyms and Symbols (820 pages)
7. Spell Checker Plus * In CD-ROM form
8. Electronic Medical Dictionary * Also on CD-ROM
Obviously, books and CD-ROMs are invaluable for the MT who needs information at their fingertips. Having your own library of MT books can only enhance your education as you learn about and practice the profession.