A medical transcription certificate program is a 9-month to 1-year program designed to build on knowledge gained with an existing degree. Medical transcription certificate programs combine lecture-based medical transcription courses with hands-on transcription practice to teach the skills needed to perform the job duties of medical transcription.
Medical Transcription Certificate Program Curriculum
Medical transcription certificate programs cover some foundational subjects in healthcare, introductory computer courses, and introductory medical transcription practices. Courses may be hands on or lecture based, and may or may not include an externship prior to graduation.
For example, the medical transcription certificate program at Penn Foster Career School includes:
- Introduction to Allied Health
- Medical Law and Ethics
- Confidentiality of Health Information
- Medical Terminology
- Using Word and Excel
- Medical Transcription Practices
For students who cannot attend classroom-based courses due to family, work or military commitments, many medical transcription students pursue their certificates through online or correspondence-based medical transcription programs. These programs cover generally the same course material as campus-based programs, but make use of online communication methods such as slide shows, online video, chat and email to support discussion and learning.
Medical Transcriptionist Certificate Programs vs Degree Programs
Medical transcription certificate programs are the most popular credential for medical transcriptionists. However, degree programs also exist for medical transcription students seeking a more in-depth education.
The primary differences between medical transcription certificate programs and degree programs are in time commitment, and in subject depth and breadth. Whereas most medical transcription certificates can be earned in one year or less, most degree programs require two to four years, depending on the degree sought. The most common type of medical transcription degree is the associate’s degree in medical transcription, a two-year program at most schools.
The other major difference is the broader subject matter taught during degree programs. For example, while the online medical transcription certificate program at Ashworth College includes an introductory course to medical fundamentals, the associate’s degree program at Kaplan University breaks its medical foundation courses down into anatomy and physiology, human diseases and other subjects.
How to Choose a Medical Transcriptionist Certificate Program
Choosing the right medical transcription certificate program is important, since students with different career goals and learning styles will benefit more with some programs than with others. Here are a few things to consider when choosing a medical transcription certificate program:
- Accreditation — Accreditation for medical transcription schools is performed by the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI). This accreditation is acknowledgement that a school’s program is up to current industry standards. It is also required for most medical transcription certifications.
- Online Learning – Depending on your learning situation and time commitments, it may be beneficial to find a certificate program from an online medical transcription school. These programs utilize online communication channels such as email, chat, portal systems and message boards to allow students to learn from home, saving the time and expense of commuting to a classroom.
- Career Services – Depending on how much help you need finding a job after you graduate, it may be beneficial to enroll in a certificate program that offers career assistance such as resume help, interview coaching, or recruiter connections. Ask school reps whether or not this is part of the package.
No matter which medical transcription certificate program you enroll in, you can expect to be challenged and inspired – an experience which should help you on your way to building a great career.
Medical Transcription Certificate Programs Enrolling Now
Career Step, a leading online school, focuses on helping students quickly gain the career skills they need to succeed in rapidly growing industries. With 20 years of experience, the school has trained over 70,000 students in the United States and internationally and offers programs in the allied health, administrative services, and technology industries. Career Step’s training programs are offered entirely online, and the school is committed to helping each enrolling student graduate and successfully transition to a rewarding career.
Career Step training offers you the following benefits:
- Affordably priced programs that prepare you to earn a good living
- Flexible online training that lets you learn on your schedule
- One-on-one instructor access throughout the course
- Graduate resources to help you turn your education into a job
Penn Foster Career School
Career Diplomas and Certificates Your Time and Online.
Want a better job? Looking for a new career? Thinking about starting your own business? Today’s students often don’t have time to attend regularly scheduled classes, but through online education. Penn Foster Career School, one of the world’s largest regionally accredited distance learning career schools, has educated millions of adults through their study-at-home programs.
When students complete their program they are awarded a Career Diploma. Penn Foster Career School offers Career Diplomas in a wide variety of high-demand career fields, particularly in the areas of: business, technology, engineering, health services, education, and the trades.
Career Diploma programs have gained in popularity because they contain a large amount of relevant, real-word applicable information that can be learned in a flexible format. Career Diplomas are ideal for people who are interested in changing careers, but can’t take time away from their current job or family obligations.
Why Many Students Choose Penn Foster Career School for Their Training:
- Materials are available as soon as your enrollment is accepted.
- Students have the flexibility to study online… at a pace that’s right for them.
- There are no classes to attend because students complete all of their studies from the comfort and convenience of their own home.
- Penn Foster offers over 50 Career Diploma programs in some of today’s most in-demand career fields.
- Friendly and helpful support from expert instructors dedicated to each student’s success is just a phone call or an email away.
- We have an extensive online community where students can interact with fellow students, faculty, and alumni. Students can also participate in the hundreds of blogs and academic groups.
- Web access to learning and student services is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Penn Foster Career School’s tuition is among the lowest of all accredited career schools. They offer 0% interest and customized monthly payment plans.
- Books, study guides, learning aids, and instructor support are all included in the student’s tuition.
- Students and graduates have immediate access to Penn Foster Career Services, which include resume writing, interviewing tips, job search techniques, and more.
- Students can earn a Career Diploma in a matter of months.
Penn Foster Career School is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC), which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Penn Foster Career School is regionally accredited by the Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Penn Foster Career School has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
Other Medical Transcription Certificate Programs
These programs may or may not be currently enrolling.
US Career Institute
University of California Riverside Extension
Medical Transcription Editor
Medical Technology Education Center
JumpStart Clinical Documentation Editing
Gateway Community College
Certificate, Associate’s Degree
Advanced Medical Transcription
Blackstone Career Institute
Medical Transcription Fundamentals