Texas medical transcriptionists serve a vital role in hospitals, clinics and insurance offices across the Lone Star State. These unsung heroes of the healthcare industry perform a critical function that helps patients get the treatment they need. If you are thinking of becoming a medical transcriptionist, consider getting your training at one of the medical transcription schools in Houston. There are a number to choose from, and many medical transcription schools in Houston have begun offering both online and in-person degree options for your convenience.
Medical Transcription Schools in Houston, TX
Career Step, a leading online school, focuses on helping students quickly gain the career skills they need to succeed in rapidly growing industries. With 20 years of experience, the school has trained over 70,000 students in the United States and internationally and offers programs in the allied health, administrative services, and technology industries. Career Step’s training programs are offered entirely online, and the school is committed to helping each enrolling student graduate and successfully transition to a rewarding career.
Career Step training offers you the following benefits:
- Affordably priced programs that prepare you to earn a good living
- Flexible online training that lets you learn on your schedule
- One-on-one instructor access throughout the course
- Graduate resources to help you turn your education into a job
Penn Foster Career School
Career Diplomas and Certificates Your Time and Online.
Want a better job? Looking for a new career? Thinking about starting your own business? Today’s students often don’t have time to attend regularly scheduled classes, but through online education. Penn Foster Career School, one of the world’s largest regionally accredited distance learning career schools, has educated millions of adults through their study-at-home programs.
When students complete their program they are awarded a Career Diploma. Penn Foster Career School offers Career Diplomas in a wide variety of high-demand career fields, particularly in the areas of: business, technology, engineering, health services, education, and the trades.
Career Diploma programs have gained in popularity because they contain a large amount of relevant, real-word applicable information that can be learned in a flexible format. Career Diplomas are ideal for people who are interested in changing careers, but can’t take time away from their current job or family obligations.
Why Many Students Choose Penn Foster Career School for Their Training:
- Materials are available as soon as your enrollment is accepted.
- Students have the flexibility to study online… at a pace that’s right for them.
- There are no classes to attend because students complete all of their studies from the comfort and convenience of their own home.
- Penn Foster offers over 50 Career Diploma programs in some of today’s most in-demand career fields.
- Friendly and helpful support from expert instructors dedicated to each student’s success is just a phone call or an email away.
- We have an extensive online community where students can interact with fellow students, faculty, and alumni. Students can also participate in the hundreds of blogs and academic groups.
- Web access to learning and student services is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Penn Foster Career School’s tuition is among the lowest of all accredited career schools. They offer 0% interest and customized monthly payment plans.
- Books, study guides, learning aids, and instructor support are all included in the student’s tuition.
- Students and graduates have immediate access to Penn Foster Career Services, which include resume writing, interviewing tips, job search techniques, and more.
- Students can earn a Career Diploma in a matter of months.
Penn Foster Career School is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC), which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Penn Foster Career School is regionally accredited by the Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Penn Foster Career School has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
Keiser University eCampus Online
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
From admissions to faculty, our staff is dedicated to student care:
- One-class-at-a-time scheduling. Instead of juggling multiple assignments and exams, take one class for four weeks before moving on.
- Small classes with accessible staff and faculty that foster a student-centered learning community
- State-of-the-practice online classroom technology and user-friendly format to enhance learning
- Extensive online resources that include information and access to all student services
- Financial aid and scholarships are available for those who qualify
- Military friendly. Keiser University offers scholarships to qualified veterans, active-duty military personnel and their dependents. Keiser is a Yellow Ribbon Program participant and is approved for veterans training.
Keiser is one of Florida’s largest independent universities and a valued choice for career-motivated students. Keiser University Online offers degrees in fields that are in demand and provides job placement assistance to its students and alumni. We research trends for growing fields and tailor our curriculum to prepare students for entry and advancement to rewarding careers.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
Keiser University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates and degrees at the associate, baccalaureate, masters, specialist, and doctoral levels. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Keiser University.
Medical Transcription in Houston
Many have benefited from the work of medical transcriptionists without ever knowing what medical transcriptionists do. That is because these professionals are part of the important network of healthcare administrators that helps support the work of doctors and nurses. After completing training at one of the medical transcription schools in Houston you should understand the inner-workings of the medical transcription job description. Your job will be to listen to notes that have been recorded by doctors about the patients’ treatments. Medical transcription schools in Houston will train you to type out the doctor’s notes while adding grammar and punctuation to improve readability. The notes you complete will be added to a patient’s medical history as a record of the care they received. The job might sound simple, but a skilled transcriptionist is a valuable commodity in Texan healthcare systems. Graduates from medical transcription schools in Houston may also become certified in order to hone their skills and add credentials to their résumé.
Houston Medical Transcriptionist Training
The path to getting your medical transcription certification starts at one of the medical transcription schools in Houston. There the curriculum is typically divided into two categories. Half of your courses at a medical transcription school in Houston will focus on typing skills. You will learn to listen to notes, analyze their content, type, and enhance them, all simultaneously. This is not an easy skill to learn, but medical transcription schools in Houston have proven methods for creating proficient typists. The second half of the curriculum is dedicated to familiarizing you with medical terminology and some of the basics of healthcare administration. The demands of your job will depend at least in part on the setting in which you work, but in any environment you will need to be able to recognize the names of common prescription drugs, widely treated diseases, and medical equipment. The better you can understand the notes a doctor has recorded the better you can transcribe them into a useful document. If you seek out training at one of the medical transcription schools in Houston you will get the solid foundation you need for a future in medical transcription.
Houston Medical Transcriptionist Salary
The average medical transcription salary in Houston is $35,380 per year, or around $17.01 an hour. As one of the nation’s top ten areas with the highest employment levels, the transcription field in Houston is highly competitive. If you’re considering professional training, attending any of the medical transcription schools in Houston is a wise decision. Investigate your options and then start your adventure at one of the medical transcription schools in Houston today.
(Figures courtesy of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Employment & Wages database.)