Medical transcription training programs are designed to prepare students to join the work force as professional medical transcriptionists. Medical transcription training is offered by medical transcription schools and colleges, and in some cases by online medical transcription training institutions.
Medical transcriptionists typically enter the job market with either an associate’s degree, a certificate, or a diploma. Medical transcription training may last from one to two years, depending on the education level sought. Training generally covers the foundational medical concepts required to understand and transcribe medical recordings, the computer and typing skills needed to perform efficiently, and sometimes the business skills needed to run an independent medical transcription business.
Medical Transcriptionist Training Curriculum
Training for medical transcriptionists varies, but most programs involve hands-on and lecture-style education in medical background knowledge, common medical procedures, computer and typing skills, and often business and management skills for medical transcriptionists who plan to work independently.
Training programs often involve hands-on practice such as listening to physician recordings and using transcription equipment to transcribe them into sample medical reports, to gain a feel for the job duties medical transcriptionists perform.
Some of the course subjects medical transcriptionists are trained on include:
- American English Grammar
- Medical Terminology
- Medical Law
- Hands-on Transcription
- Computer Skills
Medical transcriptionist training often focuses on various scenarios that may come up during work — for example, recordings by doctors with heavy accents or otherwise difficult-to-understand speaking styles. Some programs also offer courses in business management, office administration, and other areas that apply to running a medical transcription business from home.
Evaluating Medical Transcriptionist Training Programs
There are a few things you may want to keep an eye out for as you explore your training options in medical transcription. Here are a couple of them.
Accreditation? One of the most important things you can do while exploring schools is to make sure the medical transcription training program you choose is accredited by the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI). This will let you know the training has met the standards of the AHDI, the authoritative organization in medical records and documentation. This will also ensure your ability to become certified later on.
Online? Another thing to consider while exploring medical transcription training is whether or not to enroll in an online training program. Many medical transcriptionist training programs can be completed partially or entirely online, which provides greater flexibility and affordability.
Continuing education? Beyond the basic career training offered by medical transcription programs, many of them also have post-graduate courses available. Stay in touch with the training program you choose, as they may offer webinars or additional courses throughout the year.
All medical transcription training programs cost time and money. However, graduating from a formal medical transcription training program can make you more attractive to employers, as they will know you already possess the skills needed to perform according to the medical transcriptionist job description.
Medical Transcription Training Programs Enrolling Now
Career Step, a leading online school, focuses on helping students quickly gain the career skills they need to succeed in rapidly growing industries. With 20 years of experience, the school has trained over 70,000 students in the United States and internationally and offers programs in the allied health, administrative services, and technology industries. Career Step’s training programs are offered entirely online, and the school is committed to helping each enrolling student graduate and successfully transition to a rewarding career.
Career Step training offers you the following benefits:
- Affordably priced programs that prepare you to earn a good living
- Flexible online training that lets you learn on your schedule
- One-on-one instructor access throughout the course
- Graduate resources to help you turn your education into a job
Penn Foster Career School
Career Diplomas and Certificates Your Time and Online.
Want a better job? Looking for a new career? Thinking about starting your own business? Today’s students often don’t have time to attend regularly scheduled classes, but through online education. Penn Foster Career School, one of the world’s largest regionally accredited distance learning career schools, has educated millions of adults through their study-at-home programs.
When students complete their program they are awarded a Career Diploma. Penn Foster Career School offers Career Diplomas in a wide variety of high-demand career fields, particularly in the areas of: business, technology, engineering, health services, education, and the trades.
Career Diploma programs have gained in popularity because they contain a large amount of relevant, real-word applicable information that can be learned in a flexible format. Career Diplomas are ideal for people who are interested in changing careers, but can’t take time away from their current job or family obligations.
Why Many Students Choose Penn Foster Career School for Their Training:
- Materials are available as soon as your enrollment is accepted.
- Students have the flexibility to study online… at a pace that’s right for them.
- There are no classes to attend because students complete all of their studies from the comfort and convenience of their own home.
- Penn Foster offers over 50 Career Diploma programs in some of today’s most in-demand career fields.
- Friendly and helpful support from expert instructors dedicated to each student’s success is just a phone call or an email away.
- We have an extensive online community where students can interact with fellow students, faculty, and alumni. Students can also participate in the hundreds of blogs and academic groups.
- Web access to learning and student services is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Penn Foster Career School’s tuition is among the lowest of all accredited career schools. They offer 0% interest and customized monthly payment plans.
- Books, study guides, learning aids, and instructor support are all included in the student’s tuition.
- Students and graduates have immediate access to Penn Foster Career Services, which include resume writing, interviewing tips, job search techniques, and more.
- Students can earn a Career Diploma in a matter of months.
Penn Foster Career School is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC), which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Penn Foster Career School is regionally accredited by the Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Penn Foster Career School has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).