In today’s healthcare industry, employers are seeking medical transcriptionists who have received formal training at one of the nation’s accredited medical transcription schools. The duties of medical transcriptionists are closely tied to subjects like medical terminology, abbreviations, common medical knowledge and various medical procedures, and a general understanding of those topics is beneficial to fully understand the notes being transcribed.
Medical transcriptionists also use specialized equipment including a stenographer’s keyboard, earpiece and foot pedal. Formal training with these is increasingly preferred by employers, along with well-honed typing skills.
Medical transcription training programs are designed to provide students with the education and resources they need to excel as professional medical transcriptionists, including:
- Medical Background Knowledge
- Equipment Familiarity
- Typing and Transcription Skills
- General Business Skills
In addition, formal training can help graduates secure a higher salary than transcriptionists who have had no formal training.
Medical Transcription Program Curriculum
Students of medical transcriptionist schools undergo foundational training in material such as basic American English grammar, medical terminology, human anatomy and physiology, and other basic medical courses. They also learn concepts behind common medical procedures in order to better comprehend what the physician is documenting. Finally, medical transcriptionists learn equipment fundamentals such as how to use various keyboards and how to control a recording using a foot pedal, as well as common business skills that apply to running an independent transcription business.
For example, the medical transcription correspondence course at US Career Institute includes training in:
- English Grammar
- Medical Terminology
- Cell Anatomy
- Human Diseases
- Medical Documentation
- Body Systems
- Healthcare Records
- Electronic Security
Medical transcription schools offer this training through credential programs including certificate programs, diploma programs, and associate degree programs. The type of program you enroll in will depend on your career goals, timeline and resources.
Here is a quick breakdown of these program types:
For students who are not able to regularly attend school in a classroom setting, online medical transcription programs offer scheduling flexibility that is ideal for working parents or members of the military.
Most schools can also prepare you for voluntary medical transcription certification upon graduation if you choose to pursue it.
Choosing the Right School
In order to decide which medical transcription school is right for you, it is important to explore the programs available in your area. Most schools offer services such as:
- Financial Aid
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Job and Career Assistance
- On-Campus Library, Book Store, and Other Facilities
Additionally, most credible schools are nationally, regionally, or professionally accredited by an organization such as the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI). Investigate the medical transcription schools in your area to see which programs provide the best learning situation for you. If possible, it is best to obtain program details from two to three schools before making a decision.
The list below contains medical transcription schools currently enrolling new students nationwide. If none are available in your area, you may try using one of the zip code search boxes located throughout the site, or try broadening your search using our complete school database.
Medical Transcription Schools Enrolling Now
Career Step, a leading online school, focuses on helping students quickly gain the career skills they need to succeed in rapidly growing industries. With 20 years of experience, the school has trained over 70,000 students in the United States and internationally and offers programs in the allied health, administrative services, and technology industries. Career Step’s training programs are offered entirely online, and the school is committed to helping each enrolling student graduate and successfully transition to a rewarding career.
Career Step training offers you the following benefits:
- Affordably priced programs that prepare you to earn a good living
- Flexible online training that lets you learn on your schedule
- One-on-one instructor access throughout the course
- Graduate resources to help you turn your education into a job
Penn Foster Career School
Career Diplomas and Certificates Your Time and Online.
Want a better job? Looking for a new career? Thinking about starting your own business? Today’s students often don’t have time to attend regularly scheduled classes, but through online education. Penn Foster Career School, one of the world’s largest regionally accredited distance learning career schools, has educated millions of adults through their study-at-home programs.
When students complete their program they are awarded a Career Diploma. Penn Foster Career School offers Career Diplomas in a wide variety of high-demand career fields, particularly in the areas of: business, technology, engineering, health services, education, and the trades.
Career Diploma programs have gained in popularity because they contain a large amount of relevant, real-word applicable information that can be learned in a flexible format. Career Diplomas are ideal for people who are interested in changing careers, but can’t take time away from their current job or family obligations.
Why Many Students Choose Penn Foster Career School for Their Training:
- Materials are available as soon as your enrollment is accepted.
- Students have the flexibility to study online… at a pace that’s right for them.
- There are no classes to attend because students complete all of their studies from the comfort and convenience of their own home.
- Penn Foster offers over 50 Career Diploma programs in some of today’s most in-demand career fields.
- Friendly and helpful support from expert instructors dedicated to each student’s success is just a phone call or an email away.
- We have an extensive online community where students can interact with fellow students, faculty, and alumni. Students can also participate in the hundreds of blogs and academic groups.
- Web access to learning and student services is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Penn Foster Career School’s tuition is among the lowest of all accredited career schools. They offer 0% interest and customized monthly payment plans.
- Books, study guides, learning aids, and instructor support are all included in the student’s tuition.
- Students and graduates have immediate access to Penn Foster Career Services, which include resume writing, interviewing tips, job search techniques, and more.
- Students can earn a Career Diploma in a matter of months.
Penn Foster Career School is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC), which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Penn Foster Career School is regionally accredited by the Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Penn Foster Career School has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
Other Medical Transcription Programs
These other reputable programs may or may not be currently enrolling.
US Career Institute
University of California Riverside Extension
Medical Transcription Editor
Medical Technology Education Center
NexGen Speech Recognition Editing and Medical Transcription
Medical Technology Education Center
JumpStart Clinical Documentation Editing
Gateway Community College
Certificate, Associate’s Degree
Advanced Medical Transcription
Blackstone Career Institute
Medical Transcription Fundamentals